Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A New Woman

You know those resolutions we all make at the start of the year? Well, I was reflecting on one of mine this morning. In addition to making health my priority this year, I also captured a new vision of the type of woman I'd like to become. I saw her while reading through Proverbs 31:10-31. She wasn't new. I'd seen her before. But a challenge rose in me while reading through it again near the close of the past year. A challenge to become more like her and less like me. Needless to say, my husband jumped on board with his support on this one! I mean, really--have you read it? What man wouldn't want a woman like that!

So as I walked through the neighborhood this morning, I decided to forgo the radio preaching and concentrate on this Proverbs woman. In order to build something we have to know something of how it is supposed to work. We have to understand how the pieces should fit together. So it makes sense that if I want to be more like the Proverbs 31 woman, I have to understand her makeup.

I did a breakdown of the scriptures this morning, making a list of her characteristics. It's a bit lengthy. Even more overwhelming. If you are at all curious as to what makes her so special, read the following list of her attributes:

She is capable, intelligent, virtuous (good morals & ethics), and trustworthy.
She is a comforter, encourager, takes initiative and is hard working.
She is resourceful as well as a planner--and thus prepared.
She is an early riser, seeking God first and putting Him first in her life.
She delegates, is not impulsive, is frugal with her money and time (has good time management).
She purposely prepares herself so that she is sound spiritually, mentally, and physically.
She is rewarded by her own fruitfulness.
She is steady, even through the night (darkest times) and a consistent light (because the light of God consistently shines through her)to comfort and encourage others in their night.
She gives and ministers to the needy and poor. She is generous and kind.
Again, she is prepared and sees to it that her family is prepared.
She takes pride in her home, so that it is decorated and presentable.
She builds the esteem of her husband with her character that brings him respect among others.
She is wise and gives wise counsel and instruction.
She is the overseer of her household.
She's not given to gossip or self-pity--she is contented, respectful, cherished and honored by her family.
She reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord.
She reaps good from the fruit of her labors and the works of her hands.
She excels all other biblical women, regardless of their great character (vs.30)

If you are left feeling inadequate compared to how you felt before reading that, you are not alone. I asked myself at the end of this list, 'now what made me think I could take on this challenge?'

All those characteristics floated around my thoughts as my feet hit the pavement in a steady rhythm. Then I realized that she is not an actual person, but rather the blueprint of the woman that God desires all of us women to be. He is the Master builder after all. So to become this woman, I must seek God and his blueprint. It is beyond my power to become such a woman on my own. But it is by no means out of God's realm to bring it to fruition.

So, we are back again to the baby steps. I would that I could say some magical words and snap my fingers and---ta-da! The perfect Proverbs 31 woman appears. Wouldn't that be grand!

Reality check. That's not going to happen and just like the weight loss, I've got to break it down in pieces and work on it little by little.

It seems only logical that we start with the most crucial part--rising early and seeking God first! OK, I know some of you are not early risers (I hear the moans), but the point is that before we rush off to do life in our own way, we need to get in touch with God. We need to seek Him and his wisdom. We need to learn to lay aside our wills, wants, desires, etc., and begin working in His! In a nutshell--God must be our first priority!

There is no other way to be a Proverbs 31 woman aside from seeking God's blueprint. Personally, I don't see the possibility of ever being content in life, truly content, short of becoming the woman that God has already seen in me and foreshadowed to me in Proverbs 31.

This is my challenge! I don't know what you think about it. Maybe you'll pick it up as well. But nonetheless, I'm going for it. And regardless of the work it is going to take, I know that in the end, I will reap the benefits--the fruit of my labor! And, to top it off--so will my man!

I'm sure I'll be talking with you more about this throughout the year. I've got a long ways to go. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment