Monday, February 8, 2010

Sometimes Smaller is Bigger

I was pleased to step on the scale this morning to find I had lost a total of 10.5 pounds since the 1st of the year. It's been a struggle. The truth is, I have a small person in pounds to lose. That could be really discouraging if I chose to dwell on that fact. Been there. Done that. Was most ineffective, I might add.

I noticed something--when I got swept away with staring at the 100 plus pounds that I hoped to lose, it was overwhelming. It felt hopeless. Way bigger than me (no pun intended). The best solution was another piece of chocolate (sigh). Well, as you can imagine, a few chocolate pieces later I was even more miserable. Chocolate, albeit amazing, was not the answer to my weight challenged dilemma!

My solution, with the help and encouragement of a very good friend (thanks, Deana!), was to break it down into smaller chunks. I tend to be more inclined to want to tackle everything all at once and be done with it already. That may work OK when you are facing last minute news that company is to arrive in a couple of hours and have a mess of of house to deal with. Kicking it into high gear and getting it all done at that point is crucial (have been there way too many times).

But I've noticed something that is true, at least for me. Sometimes trying to tackle the big things all at once sets me up for failure. Like so many, I want everything finished yesterday. I want the 100+ pounds gone already. Yes--100+! Argh!

I've tried many things with my weight challenge and here is what I have finally found to be successful. I had to find something that worked for me as far as exercise goes. Walking is my thing--complete with iPod and Scottie dog. I cherish my time out alone. I had to eat in a way I knew I could live with for the rest of my lifetime, summary--lifestyle change! I had to make health a priority. Period! And, as much as I had hoped that someone would, I realized no one was going to do it for me. I had to do the work myself. That was tough to swallow. One day I realized how much easier it was to just complain or make excuses and wait. Wait? On what, I asked myself finally. And then, looking myself square in the eyes I had to get tough when I said aloud no one is going to do this for you. You have to do it for yourself!

So, I took baby steps.

First, I changed my diet and eating habits. I cut out most of my eating out and began cooking almost all our meals at home. I changed primarily to organic foods. That went on for a good year. Weight loss--minimal!

Second, I began working in movement. I tried an aqua workout. Went pretty well. Lost about eight pounds and then I quit going. It was just too time consuming for my life to keep up for any length of time, enjoyable as it was.

Enter the holidays. Christmas goodies. Welcome back eight lost pounds plus a few of their buddies. I started the 1st of this New Year at my top weight. I was depressed and overwhelmed. And bottom line, I was desperate.

I started walking. I signed a six weeks contract with with my dear friend agreeing to walk 15 minutes a day for 3 days minimum. It was easy. It was doable.

I jumped to 20 minutes right away. On the treadmill. Soon I was outside walking the neighborhood. It was hard. My left hip joint ached and my legs grew weary--even at 20 minutes. Hey--it had been quite a while! The aches and pains captured my attention for the entire walk. I was pooped when I got home and continued to ache for some time. I dreaded it each time I knew I must walk. I admit that I wondered at that point if it was even possible to keep up with it? I wondered if I would ever find freedom from this weight that holds me captive!

But I kept it up. I slowed down. Cut out all the inclines. I just kept going! One month later I have developed a relationship with the sidewalks throughout my neighborhood. I no long feel the aches and pains to the degree that they demand my attention. I've increased my walking time to one hour. Ten and a half pounds later, I'm feeling most optimistic. And on the plus side (again, no pun), I look forward to going walking now--although I don't show it with the enthusiasm even close to that of my Scottie dog, Stormie! She is a sight to behold at the mere mention of the words 'walk' and 'leash'!

A couple of weeks into my walking, I began counting calories. Bothersome, yes--but the accountability is priceless and my scale is rewarding me with lower numbers!

So, how about you? Got a project that needs to get done but seems to swallow you up? Can I encourage you to break it down into smaller pieces. Stop looking at it as a whole. Set yourself a timer. Agree to work 15 or 20 minutes on one area and then quit. You will be amazed at how much you will accomplish and how much more smoothly it will go.

I plan to keep going all the way to my goal weight. I'm doing it in 10lb. segments at a time. It's not so large that way.

Sometimes those baby steps make all the difference in the world! Like I said yesterday--just do something! It doesn't have to be a large thing. Just bite off a small piece and give it a chew.

You can do it!

I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment